A course designed for the watchkeeping officer to develop and discuss key aspects of watchkeeping; the focus is on delivery of pragmatic techniques and best-practice that will benefit mariners and improve watchkeeping standards. Additionally, there is discussion and practical assessment of key areas of the IRPCS.
Seminar style classroom lectures with consolidation of IRPCS in mission simulator (20%).
- Responsibilities of the OOW
- Ocean vs coastal/littoral transit
- Composition of the Navigational Watch
- Prescience – Planning ahead
- Reactions to emergencies
- Heavy weather and restricted visibility
- Navigating with a Pilot embarked
- Advanced navigational techniques
- The Error Chain
- The Lonely Rules – Idiosyncrasies within IRPCS
- IRPCS summary
- ROR situations practical